Kasper Clemens Ritter Von Zumbusch

Biography

PROPERTY FROM THE COLLECTION OF A NEW YORK CITY PHILANTHROLOPIST

Sculpture, Bronze and Marble
(b Herzebrock, Westphalia, 23 Nov 1830; d Rimstg, nr Prien am Chiemsee, 27 Sept 1915). German sculptor. He studied sculpture at the Polytechnische Schule in Munich, under Johann von Halbig (1814E2) whom he accompanied on a study tour to Milan in 1849. After setting up independently in 1852 and successfully fulfilling his first portrait commissions, he went to Rome (1857E) to study Classical sculpture. He travelled to Italy again in 1867, this time accompanied by his pupil Adolf von Hildebrand. Zumbusch’s early works are tentative in approach. Flora (1859; ex-Städt. Gal., Hannover) reveals the pervasive influence of Ludwig von Schwanthaler and also borrows features from Bertel Thorvaldsen’s Venus (1813E6; Copenhagen, Thorvaldsens Mus.) while anticipating Zumbusch’s later, more distinctive style in its sweeping movement and energetic forms. On the other hand, his religious works from the same period such as the carved altar to SS Benno and Corbinian (1860; Munich, Frauenkirche) assimilated both Nazarene and Romantic styles. The diversity of style of the 19th century is thus mirrored in Zumbusch’s work. In the works commissioned in the 1860s and 1870s by the King of Bavaria, Ludwig II, especially the marble statuettes of figures from Richard Wagner’s operas (e.g. Lohengrin, 1865; Walther von Stolzing, 1867; Prien, Neues Schloss Herrenchiemsee), he slowly freed himself from Neo-classicist ideas of form: the drapery is richer, the details are more cogent, and altogether there is greater liveliness of expression.


Back